Sunday, April 24, 2011

Dining Out

As you know, I spent this weekend in San Francisco with my parents. I haven't seen them since December so they made sure to make my time with my egg-stra special. They flew in from Chicago on Friday and immediately picked me up from school and whisked me off into the city. Being from Chicago has greatly influenced my taste in food and I would definitely consider myself somewhat of a demanding foodie. When we finally arrived at the hotel, we stopped by the bar to grab a quick snack and some drinks. We decided on an assorted cheese platter that came with goat cheese, bleu cheese, cheddar cheese, and cow's milk cheese, along with toast, honey, and almonds. After finishing our snacks, we headed out for a day of shopping.
In my previous posts, I wrote about a restaurant called Maya that I have been to multiple times. We decided to go there for dinner because it was Good Friday and we could not eat meat. Maya has many great fish options, as well as vegetarian options, so we were able to choose from a plethora of dishes. We started off dinner with a pitcher of sangria and guacamole. Then, for dinner we ordered lobster tacos and a sesame encrusted tilapia that came with scallops. Both entrees were delicious and I would highly recommend them. For dessert we ordered empanadas de platano which are turnovers filled with bananas, walnuts, crema fresca, strawberry sauce and coconut ice cream. The entire meal was fantastic and I can't wait to return.
On Saturday night, we ventured to Sausalito and went to dinner at a place called Poggio with my parents' best friends from college. Poggio is an Italian restaurant in a quaint neighborhood with a comfortable charm and top-notch cuisine. This up-scale Italian restaurant offers homemade pastas, as well as dishes made with locally grown ingredients. We started dinner off with a Brunello di Montalcino, a red wine from Tuscany. With the wine we also had the burrato, a type of mozzarella cheese that came with sundried tomatoes and toast. For my main course I ordered the gnocchi, a type of pasta made from potatoes that came with asparagus, pesto, and shaved ricotta cheese.
Both restaurants that we went to were unbelievable. The food was amazing and I cannot wait to go back. Although these places were quite pricey, it is always nice to treat yourself to somewhere nice. All in all, this entire weekend was fantastic and I can't wait for my parents next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment